During later years it was transformed into a palace (for a time it was called Tre Kronor Castle), in the late 16th century, by King John III. In the month of May in 1697, a fire destroyed much of the palace. This was after a great deal of rebuilding was done to the palace from 1692 to 1697. After the fire, rebuilding was done again and continued for about 63 years. The Stockholm Palace is the place of the King’s office, the offices of the Royal Court of Sweden and the offices of the other members of the royal family.
The Högvakten (a royal guard of members of the Swedish Armed Forces) guard the palace.
The lay out of the palace includes the northern, southern, eastern and western row. Each row is a symbolic representation;the northern section represents the common royal, the southern section represents the nation, the east is the queen and the west is the king.
The palace church (completed in the 1740s) is housed in the southern row. The eastern row is the site of Sweden’s oldest museum, Livrustkammaren. In this museum one will find old weapons, uniforms and precious valuable crown jewels. Anyone fortunate enough to be a guest would sleep in the west row, in the Guest Apartment. The northern row is where the King and Queen suites are, as well as other rooms such as the ballroom. In a gallery of the northern row, every year usually about several dinners are hosted in this gallery. The purposes of these dinners are state, official and a dinner to honour the annual Nobel Prize winners each year. The gallery is large and can cater for about 200 seated guests. It is in the northern row, at street level (as there are several floors in the palace) that the Tre Kronor Museum is based in the oldest rooms of the palace. These rooms that are the site of this museum were many years ago the kitchen rooms in Tre Kronor Castle.
In measurement, the north to south front appearance of the building is 120 meters. The east to west façade is 115 meters (that is without the wings). It is in the north-eastern wing, that another museum is situated – a museum of valuable antiques.
The palace is mainly built of brick and some sections are covered with sandstone. The copper covered roof slopes slightly inward. The palace consists of 1430 rooms and 660 windows and to this day is an impressive building.